Unless you are blessed with an unlimited supply of money, anyone interested in renewable energy systems quickly realize the value in exploring energy conservation as a first step prior to planning or designing their system. Unfortunately, when most hear the words "energy efficiency" or "energy conservation" they have an uncontrollable urge to start singing a popular tune...
There's no phone, no
lights, no motorcar
Not a single luxury
Like Robinson Caruso
It's as primitive as can be...
Thanks to today's technology, you don't have to live like a cast-away from Gilligan's island. Some of the benefits of implementing energy efficiency or energy conservation include:
Below is a short list of suggestions and technology one should consider to reduce your monthly utility bill:
- Water especially hot water is a major problem.
- Install low flow faucets and shower heads to reduce your water bill or electric usage if you are on a well.
- Install a solar hot water heating system.
- Install a tankless hot water heater.
- Install a geothermal heat pump.
- Replace incandescent lights with compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Save even more by replacing them with LED bulbs.
- Replace drafty single pane windows with new energy efficient ones.
- Replace old doors with new energy efficient ones.
- Install smart windows which allow you to tint in summer yet let in winter sun.
- Replace your old inefficient appliances with ones which contain the energy star logo.
- Don't forget to replace your old computer monitor. New LCD monitors consume significantly less energy than their CRT counterparts.